Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Believing vs Effort Ratio

Have you ever noticed that when you really believe you can achieve something, do something or have something, you don’t need to put any effort into getting it? You just say “great” and forget about it and at some point down the road you get it, and hear yourself say “I knew that was going to turn out well.”

Maybe there’s a ratio between how much we believe something and how much effort we have to put in to it. I know that if I really want something, but don’t believe it’s mine by divine right, then I have to work bloody hard to get it: and even then sometimes I don’t. For me getting into believing something is a matter of perspective: If I’m seeing getting something as difficult, I keep turning it around until it’s easy. I feel it in my heart like relief. Then I can let it go, and then I know that it will come.

So really, maybe the only effort we ever have to put in is believing we can have something. And if we can’t believe it in one light, then to look at it from another!

No comments: